The formation and development of GMRGM has been a long, eventful process that has enlisted the talents of dreamers, architects, and skilled craftsmen. These were people who believed in hard work and commitment, and who understood that real estate had the potential to be a stable and ethical profession.
They also believed that the real estate industry could have a positive impact on the growth of the Greater Moncton Community.
Started by Claude Devere Taylor and Blair Steeves in 1945, Taylor and Steeves was one of the earliest real estate firms in Moncton, and it soon grew to be come the largest. Both brokers were instrumental in creating the Moncton Real Estate Board.
Oct 7, 1954
First meeting of Moncton Real Estate Board, held at Central Trust Co.
Jan 10, 1955
Held at the Brunswick Hotel. Original members were John Ritcey, Blair Steeves, Gerald McLaughlin, Ernie Willis, R. MacBeath, G.I. MacBeath, Bert Wolter, Wes Hoar, Lorne Ryder, George Cass, Paul Leblanc, George Page, Stu Gillis, George Day, Fred C. Jones, and M. Attis. Joined soon after by Ces MacManus and Leo Langis.
Co-operative listing signs first used by members of the Moncton Real Estate Board.
Late 50s - Early 60s
New real estate companies form as the city grows, with developments in the New West End, Central Riverview, Leeside Drive, the Golden Mile of George St, and Moncton North End.
The Board acquires its first permanent location, office space on the second floor of Steeves Drug Store, on the corner of St. George and Cameron.
The Board orders its first 25 key boxes, at $4 each.
Jan 11, 1963
Greater Moncton Realtors® du Grand Moncton is incorporated.
Office moves to Lillian McNulty’s building on St. George St. Rent is $35 / month.
There was steady growth in GMRGM membership during the 1960’s, and MLS® was building a competitive business and raising standards.
A donation to the United Way in 1967 marks the first year that GMRGM began supporting community organisations.
Aug 22, 1967
The first annual lobster party was held at Paturel’s, with 63 in attendance. $2:00 per person.
June Ladd Gauvin hired as the first, full-time executive officer of GMRGM.
A Fellow of the Real Estate Institute (FRI) course was established at the Univeristé de Moncton, with courses including real estate law and economics.
GMRGM purchased its own building at 107 Cameron St, and Faye Geldart (Andersen) becomes the new executive officer.
GMRGM is a non-profit with a commitment to give back to the community. Over this period the Board reinforced this commitment, creating student bursaries and supporting a total of 20 local organisations.
In response to a large jump in advertising costs with the Moncton Transcript, GMRGM decides to produce its own weekly publication, ‘The Real Estate Guide’. Published each Wednesday, The Guide changed the work week, putting more emphasis on mid-week, less on the weekends, and it was credited with saving brokers 25-35% in advertising costs.
GMRGM is known as one of the more successful Canadian Boards in terms of doing business and giving back to the community.
It won the MICC Award in 1981, 1984 and 1985.